What is mindfulness?
“the awareness that emerges through paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally to the unfolding of experience moment by moment.”
Jon Kabat-Zinn definition of mindfulness. Source: https://www.mindfulschools.org/foundational-concepts/what-is-mindfulness/
Mindfulness explained by students:
Where to start:
Here are some good example lessons and introduction videos about mindfulness.
Mindful Schools: https://www.mindfulschools.org/resources/explore-mindful-resources/
Mindful practice for students:
Guided Meditations: https://www.smilingmind.com.au/
Smiling Mind Meditation Example
Breathing practise, eg. Take 5 Breathing
Fitness games and team challenges
Taking a mindful moment could be done before, during and after a fitness game. Or take a moment to be aware when doing a ‘team challenge’.
- Notice our body response / scan the body
- Notice our thoughts: Are they helpful?
- Attention to breath
Reference: Jan Carey, Director & Facilitator, The Mindful Classroom
More mindful activities: https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/mindfulness-for-children-kids-activities/, such as:
- Mindful/safari walk: listen carefully to the sounds outside, eg. wind, birds.
- Taste test: taste something small such as a sultana or Malteser. Look at it, smell it, be aware of your body’s responses. Carefully place it on your tongue, be aware, slowly and mindfully chew.
- Balloon: move slowly and gently to keep the balloon off the ground, pretending it is fragile.
Benefits of mindfulness described by https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/mindfulness-for-children-kids-activities/
- mitigate the effects of bullying (Zhou, Liu, Niu, Sun, & Fan, 2016)
- enhance focus in children with ADHD (Zhang et al., 2016)
- reduce attention problems (Crescentini, Capurso, Furlan, & Fabbro, 2016).
- improving mental health and wellbeing
- improve social skills when well taught and practiced in children and adolescents.
Excellent book about mindfulness, written by a teacher:
“Teach, Breathe, Learn” by Meena Srinivasan